knitting, doll collecting, the cat, life and other randomness

This… is going to take awhile

I have two giant projects on the needles right now.

I finally decided on the blanket pattern I wanted to make with my archangel malabrigo.  The pathways blanket!

(remember that stuff)

Sadly the blanket needed a contrasting colour.  Happily WEBS was having their anniversary sale.

Blanket, just add time.

Over 4000 yards of yarn to make into little squares…..  How little?  my squares are turning out to be 4.5″ square.  I’d like to finish the blanket by January, but we’ll have to see how it goes.

Here’s the first 4 in a small pattern.

Putting them all together into an overall pattern is going to be fun. :)

 

My second big project is a fingering weight cardigan.  The Hitofude!

Working with knitpicks comfy fingering in the whisker colourway.  This is going slowly, but I think it will speed up when I get past the top yoke.

Here’s my progress so far (well I’m a bit further):

—-

Additionally I’m going to have a special set of projects in July (which will put all my current projects in hibernation)

Le sigh… all these big plans!

Trying to finish up the last few things on my needles so I can focus a bit more on these projects.

Katie wants the dolls to stop taking over….

Weekend Stuff

Not a lot of knitting happened this weekend, mostly because of this:

(Masuda Method shiny) Kirlia!  She’s quite awesome, but I may have played a little too much.

I was also trying to get a shiny Eevee, but no luck so far.

This week is also a sort of bust because of… NEW DOLLS!!!

Hard Rock 2008.  She is so cool!

I’ve named her Styx and here she is changed and rebodied.  I haven’t gotten the courage to cut her original outfit off that model muse body.  I will… one day.

Next we have the Queen of the constellations.  She surprised me so much.  I love her!  Plus her gown had a velcro closure so I didn’t have to add velcro or snaps to it!  So happy.  and the clothes fit her new body, well except for her necklace but that was held onto her with a rubber band on the model muse body.

Not all of the dolls in the next photo are new, but none of them have names (or want to be renamed).  So I’m spending the week assigning them names/personalities in my little doll world.

 

Katie is feeling neglected

Spoiling the cat

Katie is officially spoiled.   She knows it (boy does she know it), I know it, everyone who meets her knows it.

(bring me my kibble)

She only sleeps on handmade blankets, but didn’t have anything suitable for summer.  Especially to replace the bulky blanket she uses in the winter on top of her cat tree.

> Here she is on her winter blanket

 

Using scraps from my granny square blanket I created a granny mandala that was 23″ in diameter (the size of her tree cup).

 

It has passed muster (whew…)

(she had been sleeping but has camera sense… le sigh)

—-

Of course having blankets that are easy to wash makes my life easy as well.  Which is why her ‘throne’ is next up for the blanket treatment.

Dyeing Weekend

AwesomeSister and I pulled out our dyepots on Victoria Day.  We were trying a new dyeing technique where you intentionally place small dashes of colour on the yarn.  The hope is to add colour without pooling.  For these skeins we reskeined the yarn so it was about twice the original diameter, painted them with small areas of colour and then reskeined to the original diameter (so the swift will work on them again!)

We both did four skeins.  I did two with the new method and two with my old method.  My old method is kettle dyeing.  Basically I put enough water to cover the skein in a pot.  Bring the pot to barely ‘steaming’ (this isn’t scientific in any way) and then pour dye on the yarn.  Often I’ll pour some dye, let it set and then pour more on.

Here are my old method skeins:

Dark magic: 438 yds 85/10/5 Superwash merino/nylon/stellina  (sparkle sock)

A moody green (newly discovered gunmetal+chartreuse), purple and black

Lycan: 465 yds 75/25  Superwash Bfl/nylon (BFL Sock)

grey, brown and sprinkles of black

 

New method skeins:

Swamp Dragon: BFL Sock

Greens, rusty oranges and a hint of turquoise.  I actually used every yellow/orange that we had and then overdyed with sky blue.  A big change from the BRIGHT skein it was before going into the pot.

Before reskeining

After reskeining

Fairy Wings:BFL Sock

greens, blues, turquoise and oranges.

I love this one! :D

Before reskeining

After reskeining

 

AwesomeSisters set:

I know less about these than mine.  But I’ll try to describe them as best I can.

Plasma Tube: Sparkle sock

Iirc, there are 7 or 8 different colours on this skein.

 

Dirigible Flight: 80/10/10 SW Merino/Cashmere/Nylon (Cash Sock)

Two purples and an antiqued gold. Self striping

 

 

Cyber Days: Cash Sock

So many colours!  Gorgeous in person.

Steam Time: BFL Sock

Just beautiful.  I love this mix of colours. :)

 

 

 

—–

 

oh dear, almost all of these fit me.  :|

 

on board the hype train… just waiting for information….


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.